Friday, January 25, 2008

[:: All Time Fave Oakland A's - Outfielders ::]

(Yes, it is rare for me to be blogging during the lunch hour but our schedule here at work has been modified because of an all-school lockdown [in my other life I teach HS English]. Apparently, a community member called in informing our administration that he/she witnessed someone hand a gun over to someone else right outside campus. After an extensive search 5 students were arrested. I don't know the exact details, there are rumors that the guns were a BB gun that resembles a real gun and an airsoft gun, but the fact is the day is pretty much ruined so I figure I'll focus on something I love.)

I know I am jumping around the field, but as a tribute to the source of my extra blogging time I present to you my favorite A's outfielders, a.k.a. the men with the guns.

1) Rickey Henderson
Rickey was affectionately know to me and my friend as "Thunder Thighs." According to his speech after breaking Lou Brock's all-time stolen base record, the most feared baserunner is, as he proclaimed, "the greatest of all time." Whether or not that statement is accurate may be hotly debated, what I know is that he is one of the best Oakland had patrolling the outfield.

The maniacal cheers filled the Coliseum when Rickey would do his signature "snatch catch." As a fly ball would drift to left field, we always knew it was coming.  This Golden Glover was no slouch in the outfield, having made over 100 assist in his career.  The man had guns.

In 1990, his MVP year, Rickey hit .325 with a fielding percentage of .970 (not his best, but still good). That year he had the highest on-base percentage and OPS in the majors, .439 and 1.016 respectively. He also led the league in Runs (119) and Runs Created (137). Needless to say, he won the Silver Slugger that year and it was truly deserved.

Admittedly, one of the things that I find appealing about Rickey was the way he would refer to himself in third person.  In the real world, I absolutely hate when people do this. In Rickey's world, I think it is one of the funniest things to witness.

2) Dave Henderson
Oh Hendu. He and Rickey were part of my fave outfield (as a whole). The combination of Henderson, Henderson, and Canseco still makes me smile just thinking of the personality.  Lots of cockiness in the outfield, but Hendu balanced it with his great smile and cheerful temperament.  

My favorite thing about him was how he used to mess around and dance during the lulls during the game (meetings at the mound, pitching change, etc.)

With a .258 career BA, he wasn't winning any batting titles, but he was still a vital part of the offense.  In a lineup with the Bash Brothers, it would be hard to stand out as a threat.  However, there was a time where the Oakland A's lineup was the one no pitcher would want to face.

In his All-Star year, 1991, Hendu had a phenomenal FP at .997.  That year, he also had 10 assists -- like I said, guns.

3) Nick Swisher
Swisher's numbers aren't anything to be impressed over with a career .251 BA and .988 FP, but it's not just the numbers that make a player a fan favorite. His personality on the field and off is playful and endearing. Just looking at his website, his humorous and serious characteristics are both displayed.

My favorite memory of Swisher, however, is when he charged the mound last year during a game against the Rangers. After getting hit by a pitch, Swish bolted out of the batter's box and tackled (at least attempted to) Padilla. Now, it wasn't pretty, Padilla crawled away as Swisher tumbled on to the ground grasping Padilla's leg, the benches cleared, and it became a blur. What can I say? This girl likes a good semi-brawl. 3-game suspension? Ahh, whatever. The tackle was funny. He should've made use of his guns.

*Now, these are my favorite outfielders as individuals.  The perfect outfield is another story for another day. So the lesson of the day is: guns are good when they refer to the fantastic throwing arms of outfields; guns are not good when students bring them to school and cause a 4-hour lockdown.
**Post edited in the evening. The lockdown provided me with time, but it wasn't enough to finish the post in one sitting

No comments: